Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Leaving the Past Behind

It's been almost 5 months since ("presumably") our downstairs neighbors smashed our door in half & stole a ton of my roommate's & my belongings. (Including our TV, DVD player, my CDs, her movies, sugar, flour, tools, clothes, photo albums, CD-Rs...)

It was really shitty. We called up some friends & moved all of our stuff out that afternoon (after the police visited). I got to have the fun of filling out all the police forms & filing for insurance coverage & all.

But as much as it sucked, I still know that in the long run, it was not without an upside. It gave the two of us the chance to move out of Oakland & into San Francisco like we'd been wanting to do. We had set the date for sometime in the summer, but who knows if that is when we really would've.

Because we both have less stuff now, we've been okay with that. We know we don't need to have tons of things. It isn't important, & we wouldn't have the space for it.


And yet, today I tried taking a nap today because I'm exhausted, & I just couldn't because I was thinking again about all the things I had in the stack of burned CD-Rs that were stolen...Like all my papers, my photographs from college, all the e-mail letters from when my (now ex) boyfriend was abroad, my music backups of songs I bought or the tracks I wanted to keep from CDs I ended up selling before moving....Things that are nice to have around. And it's just all gone.

Maybe it's just being broken up over the things that I just can't replace. I've replaced my computer since college, so the files aren't hiding on this one. I have some of the photos on my computer, but not nearly as many as I took. And I've been really broken up over having my photo albums stolen because my dad had given me all of my pictures he had of me as a child, & so there aren't other ones hiding around somewhere.


Still, it would be really nice if I didn't have periodic moments when I daydream about taking them to court, recovering my stuff, or beating the shit out of them (without the obvious repercussions...like jail for me).


Some day?

1 comment:

Jacob said...

You might be interested in this. It's a blog written by a guy who had a similar experience, and it seems right up your alley.

http://www.buybybrianblog.com/