Thursday, June 12, 2008

Is There Power Left In the People?

After seeing a showing of rare rock video clips at the library, I thought it was only appropriate to go over to the Red Vic to watch "Chicago 10". (imdb article here...watch the videos.)

It was incredible. It really makes me want to go out & find the trial transcripts & read up about the people on trial.


But that wasn't the most important thought that came to me while I was watching it.


While watching footage of policeman beating demonstrators with their nightsticks & shoving them into the police vans & of all the talk of the anger of the masses against the Viet Nam war, I couldn't help but feel that this story is just a little too relevant to now. We're in the midst of another bad war, & with National Conventions taking place this summer in preparation of the election in the fall.

The stage feels similar.

And the question is: What would I do?

Clearly, I don't care enough to the point that I'm planning on taking off work to attend either one of the conventions. But, more importantly, would I show up for an event like the one MOBE & the Yippies planned? Would I stick it out knowing the likelihood of being gassed & beaten & perhaps killed? Do I believe in my voice that strongly, & know that my life's worth speaking my words?
I don't know that it is yet...But I want it to be. I want to be filled with that passion.


But this all supposes that there are people out there who would organize something like that. I'm holding some doubts. There's too much apathy, or working with the system (which would only keep it sanitized anyways), or whatever else excuse there is for people to sit around on their asses & complain about how bad things are but never really do anything about it. So even if I can say "Speaking my opinion is worth the most to me", would there be a movement to welcome me with like-mindedness?

I hope that by the time that I have found my level of sacrifice, that enough others have found theirs & will march with me.

No comments: