Saturday, April 07, 2007

"She's All That"

Movie Anaylsis:
(rough)

This is another "make-over movie." On the plus side, both of the main characters get changed. But I still think it's stronger on her side than his. Through the story, Zack learns, essentially, to relax when it comes to making life decisions, & choose what he really wants.
But it's so much different for her. She has the obvious physical change that brings her beauty to the forefront. She also becomes more personal in her artwork; her art teacher tells her that she notices, & that Laney shouldn't let go of "what's brought about this change." So? So this is implying a bigger importance on the role that Zack has played for Laney, & not as much visa versa. Don't get me wrong though. I loved the idea of the movie when it first came out. I wanted to see a movie where the underdog was realised as being beautiful. And I still think that's the idea. I just wonder a little if girls are going to wonder about how much it is going to take to get there...and work at it...even if they are just fine right now.


(Another revision: Thinking again about the basics of this story...in the bet & the remaking of an "unappealing" girl into a beauty...reminds me a little of My Fair Lady. I kind of wonder a little as to whether the basic premise was stolen from there, and then dumbed down to be palatable for a teenage audience.
Makes me kind of remember Tiffany's bitterness at the rewriting of Shakespearean plays for teens...
I think this will require a rewatching...)

No comments: