Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Applying for Jobs

At my interview yesterday afternoon, my Program Directors were talking about how the funding cuts were going to cause the corps to be significantly less diverse.

For some reason, white women are always the ones who apply early. (For note of reference: my corps tutors underachieving students.) All other types of people apply later along in the hiring process...sometimes even within a month of the program starting.

I thought that this was really interesting. What does it say about these different populations with how they relate to this sort of work? What other sorts of applying styles do other programs out there (that might not be so geared towards a particular group of people) have?

I think that it would be interesting to see what sorts of jobs that men apply to first, with others coming along later. Or the ones where non-white ethnicities are the primary candidates, followed by whites.

There's probably some research out there on such a thing. Well, I imagine there is.

If anyone hears of any, let me know.

No comments: