Wednesday, February 08, 2006

any other words?

Because of the horrible associations with the word, it has been shortened down to being called the "N" word. I find this totally understandable. The word is extremely derogatory and carries a lot of baggage with it. (I do also realize that it has been used more colloquially, but I am not sure that it would constitute the sort of "reclamation" of "former" derogatory words such as "faggot" & "cunt".)

What I wonder, though, is: are there any other words that we shorten down like this?

Curse words are shortened down because it is unacceptable for unacceptable for young children to say them. When others say them, they need a way of expressing that the word was said & they need a way of saying that they found them inappropriate. But do we have any other words that are deemed such for adults as well as kids other than the one that I first referred to?

...I am not sure. I can't think of one. And I've been trying for a few days.

No comments: